About F/2 Algae Food
The standard media for algae growth, prepared after Guillard’s (1975) formulation. Super concentrated, easy-to-use liquid form for accurate dispersion eliminates the time required for weighing numerous minerals and trace elements. No more need for purchasing large quantities of chemicals and tying resources in inventory. Having an already-made formula allows the aquaculturist to devote precious time to culturing organisms, not using an analytical balance. Our special formulation in two solutions (Solution A and Solution B), keeping separate vitamins from trace elements, allows for storage without the decomposition of vitamins or precipitation of trace elements. For the culture of diatoms, sodium metasilicate should be added. One gallon of F/2 algae food requires 870 g of metasilicate.
This two-part favorite uses Guilliard’s 1957 formula. The perfect media for algae, biodiesel algae or algae cultures. Concentrated, easy to use, and contains all the necessary trace elements and minerals.
F/2 Algae Food
- For intensive algae culture in fresh or marine water
- Vitamin and mineral content ratios equal to Guillard’s 1975 F/2 formulation
- Professional research concentration
- Complete algae growth media
- Shake well before using.
- Add one teaspoon (5 ml) Solution A and one teaspoon Solution B per 10 gallons (37.8 L) of fresh or saltwater.
- Metric dosage: 1 ml per 7.75 liters or 132 ml per cubic meter. If growing diatoms, add 49 mg Na2 SiO3 per gallon or 13 mg per liter.
NOTES: Final media concentration of vitamins and minerals will be equivalent to final concentrations in Guillard’s F/2 formulation when recommended amounts of Solution A and B are added. Both solutions must be added. This product does not contain algae, only nutrient material. Proper lighting is essential for successful algae culture. F/2 Algae Food can be used for micro and macroalgae and aquatic plants. Exposure to excessive heat 120ºF (50ºC) may reduce quality of product.